Just another OpenStack Summit is started yesterday. It's one of the smaller events because it's far away in Australia ("only" 2300 attendees are registered), but 55% comes from APAC and if you imagine that 12 from 24 Gold Sponsors are coming from China then you can see how important is this area. The newest Gold Member and winner of the Super User Awards is Tencent Cloud.
People from 55 countries are together and Germany is already in the top 10.
What's new in OpenStack Community:
- Open Infrastructure Integration. Users of OpenStack interacting more and more within other projects beside OpenStack. The Foundation will pay attention on this fact and support collaboration with other communities and projects. At least the "BigTent" is going away, this was the idea to collect OpenStack core projects, but divided this to others.
- OpenLab Initiative. The user experience in multi-cloud and application frameworks should be improved. Among others Huawei and Open Telekom Cloud will pay attention on this topic
- Public Cloud Passport Program. The count of OpenStack deployments increased tremendously in the last months (following OpenStack User Survey +95% to 2016). Promoting this and start with collaboration is the goal of the Passport Program
- Financial Services is one of the newcomer in OpenStack Services. Check out the Lessons Learned session
- Contributor Portal. The idea starts at the PTG in Denver to invent a new landing page for contributors.
- Multi-Cloud/Edge-Computing are the next big things. Regarding the user survey nearly 48 % of the OpenStack user are interacting also with other clouds. 87 % believe that OpenStack is the right tool for Edge Computing
OpenStack is all about community. There are four steps for OpenSource integration:
- Find the common use case
- Collaborate across communities
- Build the required new technology
- Test everything end to end
This end-to-end responsibilty is really new. I believe this will change in the OpenStack community in the near future and a lot's of new projects will come in to have a share with the open-minded people and the experience of the last 7 years.